Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Exploring Salads Again - Greek Potato

On my hunt for the avial vegetables, I found something that although not on my shopping list, was nevertheless very interesting and I picked it up anyway. What was it? Tiny tiny baby potatoes reminiscent of dum aloo (Indian potato curry made with whole baby potatoes). When I picked them up I honestly had no idea what I would make of them, but the adorable little things were just crying out to me from their corner at the vegetable section saying 'Take me, Take me, Don't leave me behind!'. How could I resist the cute little potatoes - I was convinced I could make something out of them.
The opportunity came a few days later when I was in the mood of trying another salad and stumbled across a most interesting recipe for a greek style potato salad and on the ingredient list - there it was - baby potatoes! My little ones had found their calling!
So off I went gathering the remaining ingredients for the salad - red, green and yellow capsicum, tomatoes, a red onion, sliced black olives and feta - all fairly easy to find.
The recipe called for a unnecessarily (I thought!) long process with the capsicum, what with quartering and roasting till the skin blackens and wrapping in plastic or paper and peeling off the skin. Wouldn't that simply kill most of their nutritional value? I decided to go my own rebellious way and simply lightly grill the capsicum till the skin blistered a little, cool and toss into the salad. That didn't turn out too badly actually - the capsicum had a most deliciously sweet, strong taste to them which totally contrasted and complimented the spicy red onion, the fresh, juicy tomatoes and the salty feta. And of course, how could I forget my baby potatoes simply steamed and cut into halves that lent their substance to the salad while absorbing the dressing to take their taste to new heights. Ahh but the crown that day indisputably belonged to the dressing. Olive oil, crushed garlic, freshly chopped dill and thyme...mmm... I can still remember how the herbs and garlic and olive oil all blew this most amazing flavor into every single bite of salad. The dill reigned supreme that night with its fresh, aromatic crispness that nothing else could replace. This was the first time I ever used dill raw and I have to say, was pleasantly surprised at the result.

Whoever said salads were meant as a starter was mistaken...

Till next time folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment