Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Queen of Desserts

Crumbly sweet biscuit base, rich creamy dense middle and a perfectly glossy thin fruity topping with a small whoosh of whipped cream on top...ahhh the cheesecake had me pining away for almost a month for this wonderfully decadent dessert...
I finally gave in this afternoon and took a trip to the office cafe in the hope of finally satisfying my long-time craving. Peering into the glass display case I see chocolate mousse cake, carrot cake, marble cake, even a strange looking lemon sponge cake...but to my dismay not the one slice of what I was looking for. With the saddest puppy eyes I could muster, I ask at the counter "No cheesecake?". Looking around, the lovely waitress at the counter locates something of interest in the refrigerator, and comes back to ask me the best question I've heard all day 'We only have blueberry, is that okay?'
YEA of course that's okay! It took most of my daily quota of self-control to not grab my precious bounty and do a little pirouette in the foyer...
I'm crazy about cheese and savoury stuff, and never really cared much for sweet things. I'm generally pretty picky about my desserts. The cheesecake is one desert that balances the sweet and savoury perfectly. The cheesy center is just mildly sweet and creamy with a barely noticeable yet oh-so-essential tang (which is beautifully accentuated by the fruity spread on top); the smoothness of the cheese being perfectly complimented by the crunch of the biscuit. My favourite kind of base is one that is salty-sweet, sort of like a digestive biscuit flavour...mmm....
You might wonder why I called the cheesecake the queen of desserts, being so crazy about it and all. Ahhh that's because there is one single dessert that I rate higher than the cheesecake...one that also heavily relies on cheese (of course!) in its recipe, but tastes as different as different can be. You're welcome to guess, but I plan to wait for sufficient inspiration before I get into an in-depth discussion of the king of desserts :)

Till next time folks!

1 comment:

  1. Pure italian espresso + tiramisu = my favorite!
    oooo

    and rasgullas!

    ReplyDelete